Always Advocating For Our Clients

  1. Home
  2.  | Family Based Residence

Immigration Attorneys: Keeping Families Together

Families who want to be together should be together and specific visas allow for that to happen. There are few things more rewarding for an immigration lawyer than to help unite or create a new family. At the Law Office of Nazly Mamedova we understand the complexities of immigration law. From our office in Cincinnati, if you need a family immigration lawyer, our immigration attorneys help reunite families living in the tri-state area.

Family Immigration And Types Of Visas Available For Families

There are several different types of visas, and many of them are focused on keeping families together.

  • K-1 visa: This visa can be granted to the fiancé of an American citizen and allows a foreign national to enter the country to get married and time to apply for permanent residency (also known as a green card).
  • K-2 visa: This visa is issued in connection with a K-1 visa to any children of the foreign fiancé.
  • K-3 visa: This visa allows a foreign national who previously married an American citizen to enter the country.
  • K-4 visa: This visa is issued to any foreign children of the K-3 visa holder, so they may enter the country with their parent to join their new stepparent.

Family visas are also available for spouses and children of students. For example, foreign nationals who enter the country to study use an F-1 visa. But an F-2 visa is available for the spouse or children of an F-1 visa holder. In addition, immediate family members can be eligible for visas based on a spouse who is entering the country using an employment visa.

Getting Married To A U.S. Citizen

Any foreign national who is getting married to a U.S. citizen is eligible to apply for permanent legal residency (a green card). But the paperwork can be complicated and sometimes challenging. Mistakes on a fiancé or spouse petition can cause unnecessary complications and delays.

The Immigration Marriage Interview

Whether you get married in the country or abroad, a representative of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will conduct an interview for the purpose of determining whether the marriage is authentic and real, or one of convenience. Our immigration lawyers provide culturally sensitive legal advice to couples facing the marriage interview process. Allow us to help you approach this important interview with confidence.

Special Juvenile Circumstances: Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS)

Sometimes, life circumstances result in families becoming separated. Other times, abuse, neglect or abandonment lead to family separation. Children who are unmarried and under the age of 21 may qualify for classification as a Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) and apply for permanent residency immediately if they were abused, neglected or abandoned by their parents.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA): Protection For Immigrants

There are provisions within the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) that allow for permanent legal residency (green card status) for victims of violence. If you are the spouse, former spouse, parent or child of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) you may petition for permanent residency without the knowledge or consent of the abusive family member.

Questions? Schedule An Appointment With A Family Immigration Lawyer Today.

We understand that there can be a lot of questions when looking at all of the options available for family visas. We want to help you understand the process, answer any of your questions and help you file the correct paperwork. You can schedule an appointment by calling our office at Call or by sending an email through our website.